Homestead High School
Homestead High School is a four-year high school serving north western Cupertino, western Sunnyvale, and portions of southern Los Altos. Established in 1962, the school serves approximately 2,200 students in grades 9 to 12 as part of Fremont High School District (FUHSD). In 2003 and 2009, the California Department of Education recognized Homestead as a California Distinguished School and in 2004, the Federal Department of Education recognized Homestaed as a Blue Ribbon School.
Homestead has played a role in the development of the Silicon Valley. During the late 1960s and 1970s, the school was a haven for students interested in electronics and the emerging computer age. The school's electronics class is considered as seminal as Frederick Terman's program at Stanford University. During this period, the electronics teacher, John McCollum, created a hands-on classroom in which students like Steve Wozniak learned while designing, building, repairing and understanding a range of equipment. Today, would-be engineers, mathematicians, and entrepeneurs find support through the school's programs in robotics, mathematics, science, and business courses.
Homestead's curriculum includes preparatory courses, vocational training, and general education. The school has a variety of special programs to meet the needs of exceptional students. Open-access Advanced Placement (AP) classes are offered in many subjects. Several programs promote positive learning for all students, including AVID and inclusion classes to support the needs of english language learners and special education students. A Peer Tutorial program and a program called EXCEL serve the needs of students unable to pass the California High School Exit Exam and complete graduation requirements.
Notable alumni include:
- Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Inc.
- Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Inc.
- Dan Gordan, co-founder of Gordan Biersch Brewery
- Randy Wigginton, creator of MacWrite
- Linda Jezek, 1976 Summer Olympics 400 m relay silver medalist
- Scott Erickson, Major League Baseball pitcher
- Sean Dawkins, NFL wide receiver
- Jahine Arnold, NFL wide receiver
- Jeff Sevy, NFL lineman
- Smith Cho, actress
- Adragon De Mello, child prodigy
- Michael Sidney Timpson, composer
- Steven Vincent, author and journalist
- Daniel Seddiqui, author and adventurer
21370 Homestead Rd., Cupertino, CA 95014 Phone: 408-522-2500